Thursday, January 10, 2008

Heng Kee Bak Kuk Teh @ Pj Old Town

We tried Heng Kee Bak Kuh Teh few weeks ago, I remember it was New Year's night and wow.. da whole place was so packed and crowded that some who came later than 8pm got to stand for some time to get a table. Heng Kee sounds familiar to you? Yeaps, it's located at PJ Old Town and it has been here for as long as da PJ folks know. Fiance told me that he used to come here so often when he was a kid and he missed da big tree that used to be located inside this corner Restaurant. I have never seen da tree he mentioned cause da first time I ever tasted their Bak Kuh Teh was 4 years ago. Anyone of you remember there's a tree?

A Bak Kuk Teh meal is never completed without condiments like chopped Garlics and Chillies!

"Yau Char Kwai" is a must have item for me when having Bak Kuh Teh, I simply enjoy dipping them into da soup, yummy!

I must say that Heng Kee's Bak Kuh Teh is rather different from others. First, it's not served by hot pot, all their porky dishes are served in bowl. Seriously, I never know how to order when comes to Bak Kuh Teh so da task was given to fiance and he ordered one bowl of Mixed Bak Kuk Teh. Now, what you see is what you get. There were plenty of Pork Ribs, so juicy and meaty, I absolutely love it. Pig's stomach and intestines were very well cleaned, no pee pee smell. As for da soup, I find it much better compare to previous years where it's much clearer now. However, fiance had a different point of view in which he prefer to have da strong flavour kind of soup as they used to serve.

What I like about Heng Kee is that I can order their Braised Mushroom separately. Unlike other places, Mushrooms were served few pieces and it's definitely no enough for me since I heart them so much! Amazing, their Braised Mushroom still as good as before, thumbs up!

Besides that, we also had Braised Beancurd. Oooo..... like da texture of it, so soft and crunchy at da same time, yummm.....

Finally, a plate of Poached Vege with Oyster Sauce. Don't know why da plate was really oily, their style? I really have no idea..

Da dinner bill came up to RM 30+ only, really affordable. Anywhere else that you wanna recommend me for a good Bak Kuh Teh? Please do so as I am craving for it... ;)

26 comments:

Nic (KHKL) said...

there's one famous for the dry type which opens after midnight at the kepong old pasar (gao gai cheong)...very old shop...somewhere after the old selangor omnibus station...for a more accessible one, should try the one opposite mungo jerry at jalan raja laut... :)

Precious Pea said...

This is my all-time favourite BKT restaurant from young. It used to be opposite of their current place but sadly, i think the big tree already chopped down to make way for the newly built house. I like the way they serve here, nothing extra like lettuce or parsley to 'destroy' the taste of the soup. *High5* Their mushrooms are simply DELICIOUS!

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

I've frequented this BKT joint quite a few times. It's yummy. :)
What i like best about a good BKT place is their BKT soup. I mightily enjoy herbal soups. :-D

Baby Princess said...

it's my classmate's dad's BKT!!
but i haven't tasted!!!

ekeng said...

i tot u didn't ordered BKT at here..cos i'm looking for BKT in a claypot..hahaha..stupid me ;p

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh this BKT is lovely, tasty too, tasted and it is good!

Hazza said...

Is this one of those restaurants that is in a converted house, and you eat on the driveway on a nice evening? Last one of these type I been to must have been about 20 years ago! And on Old Town too! I seem to remember one with a big tree too! I didnt think they still existed today!

ling239 said...

i love their mushrooms too ~ ^_^

yammylicious said...

i know here! at the corner of housing area rite? my parents favourite BKT place!! =) slurp!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

got to go klang..onli place that i m willing to drive to for bkt

team bsg said...

You can try Ah Sang BKT (steaming hot claypot with green vege + long "worms" + oily rice ) in SG Way , PJ near Indian Temple ( SS3 ) . Also very crowded and tastes very black and strong. Considered by many to be ahead of Klang's version. Many lady customers too

Bernsy said...

I've heard about this BKT stall and have been there once only, and that was like years ago. We waited so long.... must be veli nice

~Christine~Leng said...

i tried this out before with my grandma! it was really good! :)

cookies_cream said...

Wah...bak kut teh! Me too..everytime I wanna go for bak kut teh without my dad..I'm like sesat jalan! Need to call daddy in the car to ask how to order...what "3 chang yuk...zhu zhang, pai guat, etc etc" :P

And MeiYen jie..you're so cute la... pig's stomach.. "no pee pee smell" Hehe.. Have a great weekend! :)

Jun said...

yeah, this is one of my fav bkt place since primary school! do u know of a milo shake near this bkt? it's a mamak lah but we call it the milo shake place cos it's got reli nice milo shake (and other shakes like horlicks, banana, nescafe, neslo etc). do giv it a go if u're around that area again :)

wenching & esiong said...

Haven't been to this place before. Good place for bak kut teh? Klang perhaps? I've been there for really good ones but forgot the name of the restaurant...

tankiasu said...

Oh I like this place too as it gives a very "old-school" feel. :) Horrible parking problem though.

Jason said...

I'll lost in PJ, seriously :)
I just had BKT last 2 weeks back in Ipoh, shall put that up soon.

wmw said...

Me being a fan of mushrooms will definitely order a side order of the braised mushrooms! Yumz!

SypruxWindchaser said...

Ooo..this place. near one of our magic kaki's house.
A whoe big bunch of us went there after a magic pre-release once. Shie shie is very familiar with the place
*oh, and hello there ;)*

teckiee said...

no more big tree already. but now more comfy and more space. i remember the days when i had to wait for tables.... the narrow road stall.

Obi-Kwan Kenobi said...

EF: Haha, finally EF got outta his hibernation. Long time no hear from u man.

MY: Yit Shie definitely is familiar with that place, it's like he's been eating at that place since he was born! :p

Update!

Christy said...

Hmmmm....I dun take BKT but I do know lots of BKT stalls in Kepong. Klang is also famous for BKT:)
Oh..and if you're in Penang, do drop by Gurney in the morning, there's lots of BKT stalls there for breakfast and they serve up to lunch;)

MamaBoK said...

I would loved the braised mushroom..!! porky are not my absolute favorite.. hahha!! but since it's so cheap.. i would eat anytime.. there.. :)

PG said...

I just went to this old and famous BKT joint 2 days ago. I give them credit for staying original all this years. BKT served in bowls is hard to find nowadays.

People flock to this joint because it is really good or for familiarity (food that they grew up / grow old with)?

The pork rib is ok but the pork meat ("chu chang")tastes flat. The soup, taken on its own is fine, but once mixed with pork / tau fu pok / internal organs, tastes diluted.

Decent BKT, not amazing...

cupnoodles said...

Do also try Meng Kee in PJ Oldtown, its opposite Ah Lek Aquarium next to Magnum, been around for ages as well and less crowded ;)